CSUs inquire about students sexual orientation

California State colleges and universities are developing plans to ask students about their sexual orientation on next year’s application or enrollment forms.

The plan itself is still in preliminary stages.

Then inclusion of the optional questions is based on a little-known state law that aims to gauge the size of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations on UC, Cal State, and community college campuses in order to access enough services such as counseling.

The law that these potential questions stem from is called Law AB 620. It was written by Assemblyman Marty Block, D-San Diego and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown last fall.

AB 620 calls for students to adopt policies that discourage bullying and harassment of gay and lesbian students. It also asks, but doesn’t require, state campuses to allow students and staff to identify their sexual orientation gender identity and gender expression on any forms used to collect such other demographic data as race and national origin.

“I think the LGBT community would be really upset about it and petitions would probably start and I think it would stir up a big discussion.” President of the Gay/Straight Alliance Club, Edlin Burciaga, 19, nursing major said. “If just a couple of us already think it’s not right.” If it becomes nationwide, it’s going to be something that I don’t think the nation is ready for.”

If the plan to ask students about their sexual orientation is implemented, California’s state colleges and universities would be the largest group of schools in the country to do so.

“The questions can scare a lot of people who may be thinking about applying to a UC like UCLA, Cal States like Northridge, Fullerton, Long Beach and even a community college like EC or Santa Monica College.” Marcell Barrett, 19, journalism major said. “It’s going to disturb them because they’re going to be thinking do I fill this out, put my sexuality and possibly be criticized or judged or do I step back and wait to see what happens?”

“If it’s not required then its good because I don’t think we’ve reached a level in society where we’re comfortable with homosexuality and as bad as that is we still have to recognize the majority of the population isn’t comfortable yet,” David Saldana, 19, geology major, said.

“The only benefit I would see would be more help for bullying in the LGBT community,” Burciaga said.

One belief is that the questions are an invasion of privacy. The other belief is that the LGBT community is finally getting more recognition.

“If you’re not ashamed of who you are then put it down because you have nothing to hide but if you are ashamed or you just don’t want to put it down then don’t,” Linda Massarotti, academic probation and transfer counselor said. “Some people might say well what are you hiding and then someone might respond to that by saying nothing and it’s none of your business.”