Children to take part in ‘Childrens Day’ this Saturday at EC

Giggles and laughter accompanied by the pitter patter of small feet will be heard on campus as  the Child Development Center will host Children’s Day on Saturday April 28 from 9 a.m. to noon.

The event will take place at the Art Patio. Children between the ages of 2 through 8 can attend.

The event is free and open to the public.

“It provides opportunities for children to come and explore things they don’t get at home,” child development professor, Michelle Moen said.

The students that participate create activities for children and see if children respond to them.  Activities include art projects, learning about science and music, and obstacle courses will also be at the event.

These activities will help the students implement and evaluate age appropriate activities and help the children use their motor skills and senses.

“Children get a chance to come and experience activities that improve  their motor  skills” Noemi Santa Cruz, Liberal Studies major, said.

Moen said that Childrens Day allows parents to learn about age appropriate activities and let their children interact with other children.

As well as the students getting to practice  what they learned in class and get hands on experience with children.

“ I like how we apply everything we learned and see if they work,” Nancy Alvarez, 30, Child Development major said.

Children’s day is an annual event that happens once a year during each spring semester.

Moen also said the department has been hosting this event for many years and hopes to continue in the coming years.

For most of the students in the child development department, participation in Children’s Day is required but all the students are encouraged to  come and participate in this day.

Faculty even suggests that students bring their own children.

The faculty also advises that parents bring  extra clothes because the stations can get messy.