ASO elections underway

With the end of spring semester around the corner and many students getting ready for finals, the Associated Student Body is busy preparing themselves for their upcoming elections for the 2012 fall semester.

Students running for office include: Nathan Wofford for director of student and community advances; Dillan Horton for vice president; Sheldon Trang for senator of business; Jasmine Hormati for student trustee; Ka Ng for senator of business; Brooke Matson for president; Derrick Moon for director of finance; Simone Jackson for director of academic affairs and Dorothy Chan for director of finance.

Official campaigning started on Tuesday, which allows the candidates to go around campus and publicize their desired position of office.

“I’m running for senator of business because I want to help business students receive efficient information about their major,” Ka Ng, 18, business major, said.

Many of these candidates are running for office to reach out to students and ensure that they have the best experience while at EC.

“I want to make sure that communication is flowing,” Brooke Matson, 18, economics major, said. “That’s why I’m running for ASO president.”

Voting starts May 7 until May 10 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. out on the Schauerman Library Lawn.

The second part of voting will be from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Activities Center.

“I want to push myself as a leader,” Jasmine Hormati, 20, biology major, said. “I think becoming a student trustee would be beneficial for everyone.”

ASO will also be having a rally on May 8 from 1 to 2 p.m. out on the Activities Center outdoor stage.

There students will be able to make decisions and hear what some of the candidates will have to say with the opportunity to give a short speech.

Some candidates are current ASO members.

“Since I already have experience, I’ll be a good director of finance to budget money for events,” Derrick Moon, 19, business administration said.

The candidates will be on campus campaigning around campus.