Journalism department brings back numerous awards

After attending a three-day event at the Journalism Association of Community Colleges, the journalism department came back to campus with numerous awards.

For the first time, EC’s three publications: the Union, the Union Online and Warrior Life Magazine, all won for general excellence.

“It (winning) means the EC journalism department continues its tradition of excellence into the twenty first century,” Kate McLaughlin, Union co-adviser, said.

In addition to winning general excellence, the Union’s editor-in-chief, Viridiana Vaca-Rios won third place for an on-the-spot broadcast news writing competition.

“I looked up and my name was on the screen,” Vaca-Rios said. “I always question myself in these competitions but I remembered my advisers telling me to believe in myself and just went for it,” she added.

McLaughlin was excited for Vaca-Rios as broadcast isn’t taught at EC.

“We mostly cover print and for her to be honored as third place in broadcasting is a testament to her talent and passion for the business,” McLaughlin said.

One thing Vaca-Rios didn’t question about herself was when deciding to withdraw her candidacy as JACC president, as she announced to voters her reasoning and disapproval for the election.

“She was really nervous, but she did what she really felt was right,” McLaughlin said.

Vaca-Rios made her decision when the emcee asked for the nominee’s to get up in-front of the stage and to dance for the voters.

“It was demeaning and had nothing to do with the election,” Vaca-Rios, said. “I wasn’t there to dance, I was there to discuss ideas.”

A JACC tweet was sent via Twitter announcing Vaca-Rios had dropped from the election.

“To me, it was really wrong for women to be asked to shake their booty as part of a presidential election; it’s just really wrong,” Lori Medigovich, Union co-adviser, said. “For Vee (Vaca-Rios) to stand up to that and say ‘No, this is wrong, and I don’t want any part of anything like this’, is really brave and courageous, and I applaud her for that.”

At the ceremony, Medigovich was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award in Journalism Education from the California Journalism Education Coalition (Cal-JEC).

“I felt really honored and also quite humbled because my mentors, like Jolene Combs, have won this award and it’s very humbling to be in the same category as those I have respected my entire career,” Medigovich, said.

McLaughlin said she felt really thrilled and proud of her colleague and was inspired to do a good job herself.

“It was a great feeling to see her get rewarded for a long and successful career in student media,” McLaughlin said.

Vaca-Rios said when Medigovich’s name was called, she was really thrilled for her adviser.

“To see someone I look up to receive an award for an achievement in journalism was awesome and I’m honored to call her my adviser,” Vaca-Rios said.

Previous journalism students were also awarded with mail-in awards for first place in online photo essay, fourth place in feature photo, and fourth place in column writing.

Eman Elshiyab, Union Online editor-in-chief said attending the convention was informative and helpful and was happy to see that the Union online received an award.

“It felt really good for the Union website to receive an award,” Elshiyab said. “It’s nice to know that my work went to something good.”

Professor emeritus, Jolene Combs was also honored posthumously with a Distinguished Service to Journalism Award.