Successful turnout for March 1 walkout

Students and faculty gathered together to protest the crisis in education by marching around campus during the March 1 walkout, Occupy EC organizers said.

Occupy EC organizers said during the protest more than 60 students and faculty simultaneously collapsed onto the library lawn in order to protest the death of higher education.

The protest began with a procession of more than 90 protestors marching around campus shouting, “Don’t just watch us, come and join us!” Occupy EC organizers added.

The demonstration, while organized by Occupy EC, contained a sizable number of students who had never before been a part of the group, such as Jordan Zimbleman, business major, and Jordan Saul, theater major.

“We weren’t able to get into a lot of the classes we wanted to and none of the winter classes we wanted,” said Zimbleman about joining the demonstration.

“I’m upset because the school isn’t serving the students anymore,” Saul added.

While campus police were present at the demonstration, it was regarded as a matter of procedure, rather than concern.

“El Camino College students have a lot of class, and are very respectful” police chief Mike Trevis said. “We’re just here to make sure everyone’s rights are respected.”

Of course, not everyone carrying a sign did so in support of the protest. Shane Smith, math professor, followed the demonstration with a very different message.

Bearing a sign that read “Teacher unions lost billions in risky stocks, why bail them out?” Smith questioned whether public unions should even exist.

“With a private union, you’re negotiating against some fat cat with three yachts for money; with a public union you’re taking money from your neighbor’s taxes,” Smith said.

The demonstration’s organizers felt that the event was a success.

“Overall, I think it was a success because we got people’s attention,” Alex Rodriguez, Sociology major, said.

Mila Anhielo, journalism major, said the March 1 walkout was a success because it brought students together to fight for their educational rights.

“I thought the protest was an amazing display of our rights as community college students,” Anhielo said. “I thought we shed some insight on how unfair legislative decisions can affect students.”