Fund expected to expand training

Due to increasing numbers in unemployment, President Obama proposed $8 billion for job training at community colleges last month, according to an article in BusinessWeek magazine.

The fund, which will pay to expand training and certification programs at community colleges for growing employment fields, aims to place two million skilled workers in well-paying jobs, according to a White House press release.

Naomi Tokuda, Career and Technical Center, Project Coordinator, said she believes the fund is exactly what America’s economy needs.

“American workers cost more,” Tokuda said. “It’s because we’re highly skilled and productive.”

Tokuda said that many employers come to EC looking for students to employ.

“From the South Bay alone, we have many employers coming to EC saying ‘we need people, when are they going to be ready?’” Tokuda said.

In addition, the fund will support paid internships for low-income community colleges. This will allow students to gain credit for work based learning and relevant employment experience in high-wage, high-skill fields.

According to a White House press release, a central goal of the fund will be the establishment of “Pay for Performance” strategies, which will provide financial incentives to programs whose graduates quickly find quality jobs.

Tokuda added the demand for workers has been so high that many employers have resorted to hiring students before they can even gain their certificate.

“Most of our welding students get jobs long before they finish,” Tokuda said.

Tokuda said this practice makes figures regarding the school’s student population deceptive, and adds difficulty to predicting how funds will be allocated.

According to the Foundation for California Community College’s Web page, for every dollar spent on economic and workforce development programs at community colleges, there is a $12 increase in California’s business income and employee wages.

Tokuda said she remains hopeful that the fund will quickly pass and take effect in 2013.

“I think that there’s a strong bipartisan support to help manufacturing in the U.S.,” Tokuda said.

David Green, automotive collision repair and painting major, also strongly believes in the proposal’s goals.

“I want it to go through, with all the budget cuts we’ve had, we really need it,” he said.

Miguel Martinez, autobody repair major, is also someone who is eager for the proposal to pass.

“It’s about time they give a break to the school board,” Martinez said. “I think with the demand for jobs, it’ll definitely pass.”

While some students are hoping that President Obama’s proposed $8 billion does happen, some students can’t help but to be skeptical about it and have questions and concerns.

“It’s all a PR thing, it’s about making face before the upcoming election,” Ed Keenan, Psychology major, said.

Keenan believes that things must change in education before this proposal can take effect and for him to believe this proposal.

“Despite whatever money Obama pledged to give community colleges, I don’t think we’re going to see any benefit to the youth of the nation until we make learning the goal of education instead of a skill set,” Keenan said.