15-year-old student finds success

As Avery Marshall, 15, math and economics major, makes his way inside the classroom, he can feel dozens of eyes glaring at him as he sits down, and gets his pen and notebook out from his backpack.

“They look at me differently for a couple of weeks, and then things get back to normal,” Avery said.

This is Avery’s second semester of taking classes at EC after being home-schooled.

“My major is math and economics, and I’m pleased to be taking courses here because I know what my educational path is,” Avery said.

He said not only does he like math, but he also enjoys reading books and writing.

“He really likes math, and he pays attention. He’s always up at the board, and he stays on top of things in class. It’s interesting how he has his own interpretation of mathematics,” Jamar London, mathematics professor, said.

Although he was home-schooled his whole life, he said he grew up just like anyone else who went to public school.

Avery said his classmates here don’t have a problem with his age, and they get over it in a short matter of time.

“It’s a common misconception that because I was home-schooled that I’ve had little interaction with kids my own age,” Avery said.  “I’m involved in a lot of sports and have constant contact with other kids when I’m not in school.”

He’s currently only able to take two classes a day, and would like to be able to take more soon.

“I think my biggest challenge is having lower priority registration. Last semester I got to enroll one week before classes started,” Avery said.

He said although mathematics is his current interest, he can’t wait to get old enough to become a tutor, so that he can help others.

“I would never have guessed his age. He’s obviously very knowledgeable. He has another way of looking at things we discuss in class, “ Jenee Martin, 32, mathematics major, said.

He said his mother and father are the best teachers he has ever known.

“I think everyone in the admissions office knows who I am,” Avery said. “I believe your voice always needs to be heard. I’m looking forward to my education. You always have to make the now better.”