Dream Act to help those students in need of aid

Mexican-born Jesus Gonzalez, 20, architecture major, came to the U.S. as a sophomore in high school.

After graduating from high school, he needed to work full time to have the opportunity for more education.

Working more than 40 hours a week while taking 15 units a semester took a toll on his body, causing him to lose a lot of sleep.

Last Saturday, he breathed a sigh of relief when he found out the Dream Act was signed by Gov. Jerry Brown.

“I was surprised and excited, so I don’t have to work as much as I have been,” Gonzalez said. “Financial aid is going to be the reason why I’m going to still be in school.”

The Dream Act, which will take effect Jan. 1, 2013, will allow undocumented students to pay in-state tuition as well as have opportunities to get Cal grants and different private scholarships.

According to the official AB540 website, AB540 students, or undocumented students, are students who have attended a California high school for three years, have graduated from a California high school, and have the intent to apply for U.S. residency.

“I’m very proud of California because (these) students are being hit the most with tuition increases,” René Lozano, adviser of the AB540 Club Dreamers, said.

“We need to invest in our future students,” he added.

Hortense Cooper, director of financial aid and scholarships, said the Dream Act will cost roughly $23 million to $40 million annually.

She added that more than 2,500 undocumented students will be affected by the Dream Act.

“This is huge for California,” Sue Oda-Omori, Transfer Center Coordinator, said. “It’s going to help students who want to pursue higher degrees. There will be more of an educated population here. It’s going to help California as a whole.”

Some controversy has started stirring as some students on campus do not like the Dream Act.

“I don’t have anything against illegal immigrants, but I feel like those opportunities should be reserved for citizens,” Nathan Breman, 17, psychology major, said.

However, Michelle Arthur, enrollment services director, said that although this law will open the door to more people to get financial aid, it will not affect those who already receive aid.

“It seems like a great opportunity for students who are here due to no fault of their own,” Arthur said. “It will help the academically talented  to continue their education.