Nursing students host sock drive for medical patients

To some, they are small easily replaceable pieces of clothing. But for the patients at the LA Metro hospital in Hawthorne, it is something they don’t get quite often. That is why Iotta Kappa Chi is currently sponsoring a sock drive.

The sock drive, which is happening now on campus until May 27, is collecting men’s athletic socks and can be dropped off in a box placed in the front hallway of the nursing building.

Having a specific type of drive every semester, usually at the end of the eight-week of clinicals, the club chooses their community service. This semester they decided on something many people take for granted.

“I pitched the idea and I spoke with other officers in the club as well as our adviser and she loved the idea,” Wilson Wu, 31 nursing major said. “We all collaborated and spoke to her just to make sure it was ok to do.”

The patients who will be receiving the socks collected are those who the nursing students work with. 

“There are patients who stay there who have mental issues and may be a threat to themselves or others,” Aliah Saleh, 24 nursing major said. “They are given board, food, medications and different sorts of therapy and activity session.”

When asked why the Club decided on socks, they thought of how they could help the majority of people at the hospital.

“We donate used clothes, a lot of the people there are homeless and there is usually clothes that don’t fit people, so we are donating socks because it fits everyone,” Wu said. “Everyone likes socks.”

President of Iota Kappa Chi, Jennilee St. John, said in a release sent out to faculty, to spread the word to everyone and pick up some socks and drop them off in the nursing building.