EC welcomes the Music of the Beatles

After a hard day’s night, finally everything decided to come together.

That is to say, your ticket to ride the Music of the Beatles class is finally here.

“The Beatles are the Mozart of our time. They are present in our society and are still talked about; that is why I feel that we should have this class,” Dr. William Doyle, music professor, said.

Finally after a three-year-long process of preparation and dedication, Doyle has created a class for students to learn about the music of the Beatles.

“In all of my music appreciation classes I teach, one thing that I like to do when teaching the elements of music section of the class, is play some Beatles music,” Doyle said. “I notice as time went on, less and less people recognize that it was the Beatles and some would even ask me, “Who are the Beatles?” It was outstanding to me that there were people who didn’t know who they were, so that began my thinking of teaching a class on the Beatles.”

Doyle believes that the Beatles music is the basis of what music has become throughout the generations.

“Three years ago when I went to see the Beatles Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas, I was so blown away by it myself and the audiences reaction to it, that I said to myself that I really need to make this happen,” Doyle said.

Doyle got straight to work, doing research and gathering information to create a class of this legendary band.

“When I approached the faculty, not everyone was enthusiastic at the time,” Doyle said. “But I began writing the class and it took me one year to write it and one year to get it passed through all the committees, the board of trustees, and everyone it goes through. It was a long process.” Doyle said.

Doyle waited almost a year to hear approval of his class that he dedicated hours of his time to prepare.

“I found out in May 2010 that we were going to have the class for the fall, but the concern was that it wasn’t going to fill up since it wasn’t in the printed catalogs,” Doyle said. “I put a few fliers up around campus and within a couple days it was filled and closed. It was instantaneous.”

And so students joined the class, also named Music 17, to experience the course in it’s inaugural semester.

“When I found out they had a whole class dedicated to their history and the importance of their complex musical breakthroughs, I was the first person to sign up,” Tyler Bozeman, 19, music major, said.

Music 17 is also transferable to the California State University and University of California systems.

“It’s not just a fluff class, I wanted it to be about music of the Beatles,” Doyle said. “You really do learn something, we cover the music composition and the lyrics and how they go together and what they did that was so unique.”

The course surveys the musical styles of the Beatles from 1957-1970, covering the Beatles’ various musical periods, compositions, and cultural impact of the class.

Going on its third semester, this class will be offered again in the fall on Wednesdays from 2-5:10. Current students taking this class have spread the word to their peers that this class is worth taking during their time at EC.

“This class allows all students to learn about musicians that revolutionized music,” Melissa Van Brunt, 22, communications major, said. “I walked into this class as a huge Beatles fan; I feel I will leave this class as a Beatles connoisseur.”