Osama bin Laden’s death brings uncertainty

Although the death of Osama bin Laden, the No.1 most wanted terrorist in the world, has fostered an air of patriotism across the nation, there are still those who are skeptical of the news and what it means for the American people.

Michael Eula, history professor, said when he heard the news of bin Laden’s death he approached it with uncertainty. 

“Just because the media reports something as having happened doesn’t necessarily mean that it has and just because the United States government has said that something has happened doesn’t necessarily mean that it has either,” he said. “That’s a historical reality.” 

Eula said his hesitation in taking any information at face value stemmed from the fact that in the past, the American government and at times American presidents have used deceptive tactics to influence the people for their own benefit.

“I’m not saying that we’re necessarily being lied to,” Eula said. “But I’m not one to simply rush with the crowd and say automatically that he is dead.” 

Many students had mixed emotions on campus about the death of bin Laden. One student was happy about his death, but he felt this was only the beginning.

“When 9/11 happened I was on an assignment at the time and when I heard about what happened I was like we have to get this guy,”  Juan Rodriguez, 30, former Marine, said. “It’s good that we finally got him now, but with bin Laden gone there will be other terrorists who want to be just like him.”

One student believed that we captured bin Laden years ago and thought he’d been dead.

“I honestly thought bin Laden was dead 10 years ago around the same time of 9/11,” Edwin Brito, 19, mechanical engineering major said. “It shocked me when I saw that he was just killed.”

David Montalvan, 23, criminal justice major and current Marine on reserved status, shared a similar story about his bin Laden and his time in Afghanistan.  

“I was just kind of in awe when I heard he was dead,” Montalvan said. “I was in the military for five years and I didn’t even think about him much.”

During his time in Afghanistan, Montalvan said that the amount of times bin Laden came up in conversation could be counted on one hand.  

Scotty Gomez, 21, computer science major, said he has mixed feelings about what bin Laden’s death.

“I’m not too sure how I feel, I don’t know if it’s a good thing, or a bad thing,” Gomez said. “I’m not really sure he’s even dead, I haven’t seen pictures of him or anything.”  

For one student it took awhile for  the news to sink in.

“It took a while, but the fact that it finally happened makes me feel a little more confident about my nation, even though it took 10 years,” Noah Lopez, Business Major said. “I think the media’s depiction of the whole event is a little sugar-coated, but what matters is that he is dead.”

However, Rafael Speck, 27, psychology major, believes the debate about whether or not bin Laden is in fact dead is a pointless discussion.

“I think it doesn’t matter whether or not it really happened, it doesn’t really change whether or not we’re all safer.” Speck said. “Terrorism will continue on without him.”

Furthermore, Speck said he does not think that bin Laden’s death will make the world any safer from terrorist attacks.

Another student saw this from a different perspective: the President’s.

“I think he is really dead and his death will put Americans at ease,”John Miller, 25, sociology major said. “His death may cause problems for the president but it will look good for his campaign when he runs for another term.” 

Overall this event has brought patriotism to America and a sense of nationalism.

“I think his death is more of a morale booster for America,” Montalvan said.