Winter Session gets pulled due to budget cuts

Marsee Auditorium was quiet and stunned when President Thomas Fallo announced that Winter Session will be cut during his speech about the state of the budget on Thursday.

“There will be a winter session but there won’t be any classes, winter is gone folks we will move winter session (classes) to an early summer,” Fallo said.

Silence fell upon the crowd after the announcement was made. The decision Fallo said was one that had to be made in an effort to prevent layoffs.

“I think you do a magnificent job, it’s not your fault that the states in  a fiscal crisis,” Fallo said.

Fallo pointed the fact that while he understands students believe they need winter session to transfer to a university, the main focus should be about getting a high school student to commit to college and also pointed to the fact that there are some required  classes that are just not possible during winter.

“We can’t do a five unit class in winter because those classes students are not succeeding in,” Fallo said.

After the announcement about winter session, faculty and students both voiced their concerns.

“I noticing depending on the options, various semesters are treated differently and if we want to front load FTES(full time equivalent instructor) then winter session should be part of that,” Lance Whitman, professor of political science, said.

Besides winter session, Fallo also announced that one of the other things being looked at to being decreased are art classes.