First week of school creates more student traffic

Student traffic has definitely increased on campus for this first week of the semester. 

Chloe Smith, 19, child development major, is a student ambassador who works at the information desk in the Student Services Building.

“We are student ambassadors, so we sit at the information desk.  The first week, it’s insane,” she said, “especially here, because everybody is lost.  They come here for maps or schedules for classes, which we run out of every day.”

Students come into the Student Services Building with a plethora of questions or problems.

“It’s the ‘where is’ questions,” Smith said, “Where is the office?  How do I walk upstairs?  What building is this?”

The influx of students at the beginning of each semester creates massive parking problems, which is another problem concerned students go to the front desk for.

“Another common question is if the police are going to give them tickets.  A lot of the people are parked illegally the first week,” Smith said.

Meanwhile in the Admissions office, the flow of the traffic hasn’t been the same.

“Actually, there has been a decrease through the Admissions office,” Elizabeth Cholico, front desk clerk, said.  “It’s because of the computers, the online applications where they could add and drop online.”

Cholico said there should be more explanation given to students as to how to use the online applications.

Some students feel lost on campus despite the multitude of services provided to them.

“I don’t know every point on campus.  I don’t think the campus does a good job of directing students around campus,” Nick Hubbard, 19, mechanical engineering, said.

Despite this, Smith speaks on behalf of the student ambassadors by saying “our motto is, if we don’t know it, nobody knows it.  If you don’t know it, we are going to find out while you are here.”