Long-time trustee member steps down

Long-time board of trustee member, Dr. Nathaniel Jackson, has stepped down from his position on the board due to his year-long continuous health issues.
A medical note from the Los Angeles County has served as his reason for stepping down, Ray Gen, president of the board of trustees said. The official vacancy of his seat will be declared at the next board meeting Nov. 15.
From that time, the committee will have 60 days to appoint a replacement or hold a special election to fill the vacant seat.
“There was always a concern for his absence. The spur that propelled this action was the media reports,” Gen said.
Jackson has been absent from meetings for the past year stemming from a surgery he had in fall of 2009.
His absences with pay were proven to be in line with board policy by the Public Integrity Division of the District Attorney’s Office this past September.
“He’s incapacitated in the hospital and is unable to talk,” Joan Jackson, Nathaniel Jackson’s wife, said. “His heart has always been with El Camino and always will be.”
Jackson’s involvement with EC spanned 30 years, during which time he was a psychology instructor, a dean and the longest serving member of the board of trustees.
“Dr. Jackson served with distinction and honor. I’m going to propose a day dedicated to him for his 30 years of distinguished service,” Gen said of his colleague.
The president’s office released a statement on the matter stating Jackson as a long-standing employee and member of the board of trustees who contributed mightily to the EC district.
It also said he was always centered on student success and personally concerned about every student, employee and constituent and that he will be greatly missed