Vice President Arce’s harassment suit is underway this week

Discrimination and sexual harassment claims have been made by Kristi Blackburn, a former dean of fine arts. A trial, which began last Wednesday, ended with closing arguments from the defendant and plaintiff yesterday.
Blackburn, a current dean at Los Angeles Harbor College, alleges that Francisco Arce, vice president of academic affairs, retaliated against her for refusing to falsely write a negative evaluation of her secretary, Nyesha Artiaga.
Blackburn also said that she endured a hostile working environment because her husband was African-American. She alleges that important materials were also stolen from her locked office, such as her palm pilot, official documents and mail, which hindered her from completing her job. President Thomas Fallo and the vice presidents are the only ones with keys to her office, Blackburn said.
“I was under constant scrutiny,” Blackburn said at the Torrance courthouse during the second day of the trial. “I never had any leeway. Everything was under question. My nerves were constantly on edge and I would cry every morning I had to go to work.”
However, Larry Frierson, EC’s attorney, said this suit isn’t about stress due to a negative work environment or any type of discrimination.
“She wants El Camino College to pay her money and a significant amount,” Frierson said.
Although Blackburn said that she was promised a payment increase six months into her first year here by the administration, this promise was never documented. Lack of experience is said to be a reason for not distributing the raise. Prior to working at EC, Blackburn worked part-time as a department chair in 2003 for a dean in New Mexico. She wasn’t hired on as a dean until 2006 at EC, Frierson said.
The allegations of racial discrimination made by Blackburn began, she said, when Arce saw a photo of her and her husband on her desk. After this, Arce’s demeanor completely changed, Blackburn said. It continued when Arce and other officials forced Blackburn to write a negative evaluation of her secretary, Artiaga, also an African-American.
“She was late sometimes, but whenever she was, she made up her time. She is a model employee,” Steven Haney, Blackburn’s attorney, said.
Artiaga, who is still employed here, was never deserving of a negative evaluation, Blackburn said. Due to Arce’s demands, Blackburn had to find cause to fire Artiaga and write her a negative evaluation form, she said.
“I didn’t have union protection. I didn’t have anyone looking out for me. I did what I needed to do. I was scared of retaliation,” Blackburn said.
Blackburn said she suffered emotional distress including problems with her jaw from increased levels of stress, but an expert physician did not testify to these accusations. The jury began its deliberations yesterday evening.