Broken pipe ruins offices

Substantial flooding damaged a part of the Humanities Building after a hot water pipe coupling broke last Thursday on the second floor at the west end of the building.
The west end of the first and second floors, including the two entrances, restrooms and faculty offices, are closed for about 10 weeks, Bob Gann, director of facilities and planning, said.
“The first reports that we got were at 4:30 a.m. that morning,” Gann said. “All we know at this point is the connection came apart on the hot water line. I haven’t been able to determine why at this point.”
Currently, a firm that specializes in flood damage restoration is fixing the bulk of the damage with air blowers, dryers and dehumidifiers, Gann said. In addition, the five other couplings identical to the one that failed will be replaced to ensure the same problem will not happen again.
Last Thursday morning, there were reports of faculty members complaining of skin irritation and a burning sensation in their eyes, Gann said. An industrial hygienist specializing in chemicals was brought in to evaluate the situation.
“I don’t want to minimize the problem, but people should not feel alarmed,” Rocky Bonura, director of safety and risk management, said.
“We are getting excellent reports from the hygienist and there is no hazard that we are aware of,” Bonura said. “The chemical was in a highly diluted form, in 200 to 300 parts per million.”
That chemical compound was placed in the water pipes to prevent corrosion, Bonura said.
Gann said renovations for the building include new paint jobs for the faculty offices because the walls were torn down by the contractors to help avoid molding.
“Carpeting was also ruined during the flood,” Gann said.
Faculty members with offices on the first and second floors of the Humanities Building have settled in the Administration Building and will be moved there next week.
“It was very chaotic,” Cynthia Somin, English professor, who had her office flooded, said. “Thursday morning when I came to my first class, it didn’t seem too bad. I thought that when I came back on Monday, it would be fine. It was a disaster.”
The damage caused several classes to be canceled and instructors were ordered to pack up whatever they could for the next four weeks, last week after the accident.
“I have been letting some classes out early, especially on Monday, when I had nothing with me,” Somin said. “I had access to none of my materials. I still don’t have everything I need,” adding that faculty members aren’t allowed into their offices.
Perhaps the biggest problem for students is the long trek to the restrooms, since they must go up to either the third floor or to adjacent buildings to use the rest-room.
“I think it’s very inconvenient to go around the building. I’m very concerned that if I go to a bathroom in the building then it’ll just explode,” Sabheeha Mirza, art major, said.