Laborers challenge Silverline

A labor dispute with Silverline Construction Inc., a Gardena subcontractor working on campus, resulted in protesters and picketers who say the company underpays its workers.
“These labor disputes have been going on for years,” Dan Macdonald, special representative for the Southwest Regional Council of Carpenters, said.
Randy Gray, vice president of Silverline, said they are complying and are paying the wages dictated by the state. “Their claims are not justifiable, we are following the proper rates and we just want to do a good job, this is just a union, non-union issue and we just want to get back to work,” Gray said.
Macdonald said EC responded to protesters with a letter from its attorney stating it complied with legal obligations.
“We do not know or understand why they have a sign with president Thomas Fallo’s name on (their banners); the college administration has no authority over which construction company contractors hire to do their work,” Ann Garten, community relations director, said.
“These groups are picketing on our campus because that is where the construction is taking place,” Garten said. “It has nothing to do directly with EC.”
Before projects began, Macdonald said its organization sent letters to the college speaking out against Silverline’s noncompliance to state and area standards for wages and benefits. The college hired Taisei Construction, which oversees all subcontracts, including Silverline, as they were the lowest bidder.
An apprentice program for publicly funded construction projects is mandated by state law, Macdonald said. He added Silverline has failed to comply with the three-year-long, eight-stage apprenticeship program that helps workers gain experiences as they receive instruction.
Gray stated while he agrees with their First Amendment rights, Silverline has several claims against the union about the aggressiveness and harassment tactics they display during the union workers’ protests.
Most employees working on campus choose to work despite these disputes, because of the state of the economy and its effects on the construction industry, Macdonald said. With fewer jobs available, most are willing to work for a lower wage.
Legal action against the company is in the works, Macdonald said, but is a lengthy process that could continue after construction is complete.
“Contractors who honor area labor standards are the ones who should be making profits in the industry, not the cheaters,” Macdonald said.