Debate team takes fourth in competition

Finishing fourth overall among community colleges in the Pacfic Southwest Collegiate Forensics Association Springs Tournament at San Diego State University, Mark Urista, assistant coach, said the forensics team is ready for the state tournament.
“It went very well. Our team was competing against students with four years of debating experience,” Urista said. “For them to finish above .500 or better against these students shows we are ready for the state tournament.”
The team’s next challenge will be the CCCFA Tournament at Fresno. The state tournament begins March 17.
The team had some notable performances in the individual events.
“We were the underdogs, we knew we had to get gold or we would never hear the end of it,” Wendy Stiener, 19, speech major, said.
Steiner and her partner, Daanish Hameed, won a gold medal in their individual event. The duo has been very successful this season. “He always thinks we’re going to win every event, and I think we’re always going to lose,” Steiner said.
Steiner also finished third in the speech to entertain event.
Shouhei Ichimiya, 18, philosophy and political science major, said he did not perform well and is looking to make up for it in the upcoming tournament.
“I did not break in any of my events,” Ichimiya said. “It’s going to be fun. You have to have fun while you’re on the team.”
The coaches have been helping students individually, working on their strengths and weaknesses.
“The coaches are just big kids in bad outfits,” Steiner said. “They are really talented.”
They are not alone though in helping the team prepare for the tournament.
“I have a sister who won a gold medal and she’s helping me out. The second-year students are also helping me out. It’s great because all of the second-year students help us out.
The team began the season with many members, but is now down to 12. The coaches select the best of the team to compete in the state and national tournaments.
One of the biggest challenges for the next tournament will be adjusting to the judges.
“We have to stay away from the jargon and the technical stuff, and learn to speak in a way the average person can understand,” Urista said. “It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it and who you say it to.”
With the tournament about a week away, the team looks like they are getting the message.
“It’s how you carry yourself; charm goes a long way,” Steiner said. “Fknow how to sell it.”