ASO semester plans

ASO

Troisi

Page 1

Fundraisers, award ceremonies, and special elections are all in the works for the Associated Students Organization this semester.

Though their budget is in tact, ASO has a commitment to raise at least $1,000 and have already planned events for club rush and the math department.

Club rush, which runs March 1 through March 4, is the first opportunity to get a glimpse at what ASO has to offer.

“We’ll be offering doughnuts and coffee at out table to help promote ASO and start our fundraising,” Walter Mendez, public relations officer said.

They will also be working with the math department this semester on “Pi Day” which will be held on March 16 at either the math or humanities building to help bring awareness to the math division.

“There will be lots of games, prizes, and actual pies there,” Josh Casper, president of ASO said. “Everyone is invited.”

ASO is hosting the Presidential Scholar and Academic Awards on May 19 at 5:30 p.m. at the Marsee Auditorium. President Thomas Fallo and the academic departments will give out awards to students who have reached high academic achievements.

A special election to fill the vacancy of EC student trustee on the ASO student senate will be held on March 10 and 11 on the Schauerman Library lawn. The elected student will serve as the ASO representative to the EC Board of Trustees.

“Every student has the opportunity to vote ad they should. We’re trying to break down the apathy and get students involved,” Casper said.

To help spread the word of the organization, ASO plans to create “webisodes”, videos posted on the internet, to showcase the activities and conferences they will be participating in.

“We want to create a network that students can get involved in,” Mendez said. “We know we have to change with the times too.”

Members will be visiting conferences in Sacramento and Washington D.C this semester to help advocate student issues.

“We are your student advocates. We are here to help and be there for the students, and if we can’t help we’ll find someone who can,” Casper said.