Writing Center holds valuable workshop

Last Tuesday, the Writing Center hosted a series of writing workshops for EC student’s to help them out with grammar problems and how to improve on their grammar.
Last week’s workshop only had a few student’s attend.
Student’s can goes to the Writing Center to get help in English or any other subjects they are struggling in with grammar problems and get the help they need to fix it.
“It’s like a small class, instead of being in your big English class that covers one topic, so if you have questions on that topic you can ask the tutor at any time, so it’s a limited basis, so it only last for an hour,” Susan Wade, a tutor from the Center said.
The different type of workshops the Writing Center has is fragments, comma slice, run-ons, resumes and there is one on MLA format coming up.
The workshop’s can be beneficial to the student, if they really need the help to improve on there grammar
“It can be beneficial of they need that particular issue because we have limited resources in terms of staff, so we can’t cover every grammar issue over the course of the semester,” Wade said.
It would be more beneficial if you see a tutor on your own instead of going to a workshop.
“That why the one-on-one conference are probably more a little beneficial for the student because it can be any grammar issue they have,” Wade said.
The workshops in the Writing Center happen once a month on campus.
“I think there are about once a month that’s because we have a limited staff available and in the past we have had more workshops, but we had more people to do the workshops and work in the front in the Writing center, so we don’t have room because of the budget cuts,” Wade said.
The workshops gets a low turnaround a month, they get five to ten student’s to attend a workshop.
The goal of the workshop is to help the student improve on his grammar problem and learn new techniques towards being a better writer and how to improve.
“It’s to help the student with whatever grammar issue or other type of English issue, like MLA format or resumes and to have a better understanding of that topic, it’s usually a basic skills topic,” Wade said.