EC Graduation ’09

Business major Gilbert Zermeno was laid off from his job at this time last year causing him to have to go back to school and get a degree to look for a new opportunity.

Come June 12, Zermeno will be among those students who will walk into Murdock Stadium as part of the Class of 2009.

“It has been a roller coaster ride,” Zermeno, 37, said. “I’ve been going to school for a long time now, stopped to work then went back and now I have a degree in business. It’s pretty exciting and it shows that hard work does indeed pay off.”

The graduation ceremonies will take place on Thursday, June 12. The ceremonies will take place into three parts to recognize the students.

From 1p.m.-3p.m. graduates will be recognized in a mini ceremony at the library lawn. From 3p.m- 4.pm. graduates will assemble in the North gym for final instructions and also to assemble in their cap and gowns. Then the 62nd annual commencement ceremony will take place at Murdock stadium from 4p.m.-6.pm.

Harold Tyler, Director of student development said this is a chance for the students to be recognized for all of their effort and hard work.

“This is a time for students to have a sense of accomplishment for their hard work,” Tyler said. “We have a lot of wonderful students here in EC and for them to achieve their goals is what it’s all about.”

The keynote speaker for the ceremony is Brigadier General Susan K. Mashiko, vice commander of the Space and Missile Systems Center at the L.A. Air Force base. Masiko was born in Glendale and attended the Air Force with a bachelor’s degree in aeronautical engineering.

The student speaker is Shamima Mignon Jones a Nursing major.

Tyler said EC is honoring around 1500-1600 students for meeting the requirements for graduation but around 600 students will choose to march for graduation.

There are also students that will be getting their diplomas after finishing up their classes during the winter session.

Students who are required to take summer courses in order to graduate will receive their diplomas after they finish the course during the summer.

Business major Michelle Jackson has had a long journey with school after switching her major four times.

But she is among those who march down for the graduation ceremony.

“It’s been tough for me,” Jackson, 29 said. “I have two kids and got married at a young age. I went from Nursing to Respiratory therapy and I even gave Welding a thought.

But I am so glad that it will finally end for me and it will be such a thrill to walk down and get my diploma in business.”

Tyler explained that there will be three types of diplomas that will be issued.

“Students will either get an associates in science degree or an associates in arts degree,” Tyler said. “Some students will also be receiving a certification of completion. That is great for students to finally get their work done and step out in the real world.”

Arnell Brooks, Child development major has been attending EC on and off for the last ten years. He has switched back and forth from going to school and working in order to help out his single mother.

Brooks was a teller at a bank making $10 an hour while attending EC full time with 14 units. He is relieved that his battle with going to school on and off will finally be put to an end while he also has a chance to help out his mom.

“I just want to thank God that’s all,” Brooks, 32 said. “The path that I took to get to this point was worth it because it taught me perseverance and patience. EC is a great school and they gave me an opportunity to pursue my dreams. It will be tough to find a job out there with the status of the economy but having a degree sure does help.”