Powwow celebrates diversity

Beating drums and the smell of fresh fry bread brought dozens of locals to the 11th annual Native American Club Powwow April 4-5.

There was nothing but smiles throughout the event as many different Native American tribes came together to celebrate their culture.

“This is a very spiritual event, there’s a lot of happiness,” Daryl Martinez of the San Iledofonso Pueblo New Mexico tribe, said while enjoying this year’s festivities.

This year’s event consisted of various attractions for locals, from traditional food specialties being served to many booths providing original, one-of-a-kind Native American jewelry, art work and clothing for sale.

The crowd favorite for many was watching the live entertainment

“The dances are great to watch,” Justin Sanchez of the San Iledofonso Pueblo, New Mexico tribe said. “Especially when they get the crowd involved, it’s like them welcoming you to their family.”

While the crowd was definitely interested in the tribal dance competition that was taking place, there was another attraction that was getting attention as well.

The Healthy Roads Diabetes Prevention Program was providing free diabetes screenings and giving advice about how to eat healthy.

“We came here today just to bring awareness about being healthy,” Sherry L White of Healthy Roads said.

Diabetes is said to be a serious problem for Native Americans, who suffer from some of the highest rates of diabetes in the world.

“Our goal here today is to provide information about eating healthy and staying away from bad habits, not just for Native Americans, but to everyone,” White said.

There were also many information booths that were provided by the United American Indian Involvement Incorporation that offered information about certain traditions and cultures of various tribes throughout the country.

Eric Hernandez of the EC Circle K International Club described this year’s powwow a success.

“There are a lot of people here and a lot of different tribes here. It’s great,” he said.

Some people view the powwow as a way to connect with others of different tribes and take the time to go to events for that very reason.

“We’ve been following different powwow events for more than six months now and it’s been a great way to meet other Indians from different tribes and come together, no matter where we come from,” Martinez said.