PJ- Repent or go to hell protest

As growing chants of “repent or go to hell” echoed across EC by protesters Paul Mitchell and a man who goes by the name of “Steven”, students quickly gathered around the library lawn to express their displeasure.

Mitchell, holding up a sign that read, “repent or go to hell” along with a list of non-Christian religions, came to EC along with Steven because of one main purpose: To save and educate people who are bound to go to hell

“Plain and simple, we came here today to spread the word and educate these hypocrites who are going to hell,” Mitchell said. “If Jesus was here today, these people wouldn’t want to know what would happen to them.”

With Mitchell and Steven’s blunt protesting and not carrying about who hears their knowledge of the truth, it enraged and angered many students. Among them were brothers Christopher and Anthony Hussar.

“This dude (Mitchell) talking about everyone here today is going to hell just because were sinners,” an outraged Anthony Hussar, medical technology student said. “He makes Christians look bad because Jesus said in the bible to love your neighbors and spread the good news. He makes Jesus look like a complete jerk.”

His brother agreed.

“You know what upsets me the most? He’s here saying that the only reason why Barack Obama won for president is because he’s black,” Christopher Hussar, criminal justice major angrily said.

Students were lashing out at Mitchell and Steven calling them obscene names and even making gestures at them for letting students know that “you are all going to hell unless you repent.”

“Were just here to tell it like it is,” Steven said. “It’s not a surprise. Look at Revelation 21:8 and it gave a list of people who will be punished and everyone here is among them unless they change.”

Pre-pharmacy major, Kumayl Nazary was so upset and offended that he wanted to physically attack Mitchell for taking verbal shots at the Muslim prophet Muhammad. Nazary had to be restrained by EC police officer Sgt. Dal Toruno.

“He’s here taking shots at my religion and my people,” an angry Nazary, 18, said. “What Muslim would not get upset at the comment he made about Muhammad? He said Muhammad is burning in hell and his people will follow him.”

Although students were outraged and were very upset at both Steven and Mitchell for their lashing out at sinners who need to repent, Child development major, Grace Lam agreed with what Mitchell and Steven had to say.

“They are just defending their religion and their rights,” Lam, 19, said. “If a Muslim was up there, a catholic, a Jew or Jehovas’witness, it would be the same thing. Every religion thinks that whoever is not in their church will go to hell and these people (Steven and Mitchell) are no different.”

Lam, a devout Christian also agrees with what Mitchell and Steven had to say because everything they were saying was written in the bible.

“The verse they are quoting (rev. 21:8) is very true,” Lam said. “It gave a list of people that are going to be punished and these guys are just trying to remind us about that so we won’t be punished.”

When asked about the approach that Mitchell and Steven had in regards to educating students about having to repent for their sins, Lam agreed.

“Yeah I think it is ok,” Lam said. “They are just speaking their mind and it hurts but the truth hurts.”

Nicole Furetta an undecided major begged to differ with their approach. Furreta, 17 thought that Steven and Mitchell were a bunch of hypocrites.

“I asked them if this was the way to preach the gospel of Jesus and they said yes,” Furetta said. “Jesus said in the bible that we shouldn’t judge other people or we would be judged. Isn’t that what they are doing by Judging others? These two are complete hypocrites”, Furetta said.

Even if they knew that they were upsetting many students, Mitchell and Steven both did not care because they actually thought they were helping people. They claim they are trying to save people from eternal punishment.

“Bottom line is, these people are going to burn in hell unless they change,” Mitchell said.

“Either repent now and be saved, or suffer the consequence eternally in hell,” Steven added.