Recycling efforts already implemented

Although there is a lack of resources due to budget cuts, the campus has implemented a few ways to be more “green.”

The college is obligated by the state to divert 50 percent of waste to recycling efforts.

Last year, the college diverted about 56 percent.

“We do as much as we can,” Bruce Hoerning, assistant director of facilities and planning, said.

Most materials used to construct the new buildings are recycled, environmentally friendly and sustainable.

Not to mention there are plans for a future water reclamation project, where non-drinkable filtered water will be used for irrigation to the North Field, Baseball Field, Track Field and Murdoch Stadium.

“I think a lot more people are aware of cleaning the environment. People are more politically active especially with this recent election,” Megan McLean, ASO president, said.

There is a program called Recyclemania! in which more than 200 colleges and universities compete to see which school can recycle the most.

“That’s a possibility, but there is a lack of resources to manage that,” Hoerning said.

Last year, an environmental movement began here where the administration distributed recycling bins throughout the campus as a test-run to see how effective they would be.

“We’ve had (recycle bins) in the past, but, unfortunately we don’t have the resources,” Hoerning said.

Stringency is the problem in this economic crisis that impedes developing the recycling program.

“Clubs could raise money or have a fundraiser; EC should have funds to at least distribute plastic recycle bins in the food court, eating areas and cafeteria,” Mina Shafiee, sociology club member, said.

One of the Facilities Department’s goal is to have plans for the new Math and Computer Sciences Building to qualify under a program called LEED Certification, which incorporates standards that set guidelines to constructing “green” buildings.

Students, however, believe these efforts do not account for the many students on campus who are unaware of recycling bins that do exist in the Math and Computer Sciences and Social Sciences buildings.

“The college should advertise. The administration should make it known to students that there are recycle bins. We have a radio station; that will get thier attention I think students like to recycle and would want to be a part of a recycling program,” Shafiee said.

However, there are some students who do not share the consensus to recycle.

“I think it’s just a waste of time. Our resources will still be depleted whether we recycle or not,” Giovanni Lopez, undeclared major, said. “If it was convenient to me, then I guess I would recycle, but if I had to go out of my way to do it, then no.”