Baseball vs West L.A.

The Warrior’s bats did much more than just step up to the plate against West L.A. this past Tuesday.

The Warrior baseball team added another “W” in the win column by routing West L.A. College 14-5. Following a four-run scare that West L.A. claimed in the 3rd inning, the turning point for the Warriors came in the top of the 4th inning where the Warriors were able to rack up six consecutive runs.

“When you score six runs like that, it means that there were more than just one or two key contributors in the line-up,” coach Nate Fernley said. “It was a team effort.”

The Warriors look to follow their win with a game today at Compton College at 2:30 p.m. Freshman Kyle Petter from West Torrance High School will be starting on mound.

“Compton is a dangerous team,” Fernley said. “Compton is very, very athletic and is capable of scoring a lot of runs.”

The Warriors proved that just the threat of their bats also played a role in the game, forcing the West L.A. pitchers to forfeit 10 walks. Three of those 10 went to freshman Aaron Deguire from West Torrance High School.

“I think we were a lot more patient at the plate than we had been in the past,” said Fernley.

Sophomore Joe Morgan lead the hitting-frenzy by batting 3-6 and bringing in three RBI’s.

“After that third inning, we really buckled down on defense,” coach Fernley said. “I was glad to see that we were able to respond the way we did”.