recruiters on campus

Recruiting on campus has not deterred students; in most cases students have not noticed their presence.
“We are putting out the word for people that thought about the military,” Sergeant Cesar Arciniega said.
Students may want to explore options that the armed forces offer, the marines specifically offer over 400 various jobs.
“Mostly El Camino students are in their own little world so they do not really effect many students,” Brandon Edgar, philosophy major said.
Due to federal funding, the law submits all institutions to federal access.
“They never bother me I assume because I am a girl,” Michelle Varalay, kinesiology major said.
Sean Reidy, undeclared major, recent recruit by the marines is signed up for the delayed entry program. The program allows for new recruits to do boot camp up to a year after they sign, so they may finish school or tie up loose ends.
“They get people thinking about joining that normally would not have considered it,” Reidy said.
Students who may not have thought of joining or entertaining the idea of joining would have the opportunity to do so because of recruiters being on campus.
“As long as they give them the real deal of what they are getting into,” director of student development Harold Tyler said.
Access to each building needs to be coordinated with Lori Losorelli, staff of the career and transfer center and counseling as well as the head of the building.
“The marines have the right mindset, to be a rifleman first,” Reidy said.
Recruiters on campus have been traditionally the most efficient way to find new recruits, finding students that are not ready for college and need direction.
“It is an open campus, they have a right to be here,” Losorelli said.
The armed services wanting to recruit on campus are all supposed to go through Losorelli. They should not be on campus without such consent.
“They are not right for all students but those that feel the need they are there for them, we do not have a right to refuse them on the campus,” Losorelli said.
So far this semester only the Navy has gone through the proper paperwork, although there have been appearances on campus with other branches.
“I approve of their overall mission but not of their methods, I wish they would be more honest about it,” Kyle Trujillo, undeclared major said.
Trujillo understands what recruiters do because of his involvement with the Civil Air Patrol, a volunteer service connected to the Air Force.
“This gives students a chance to get college paid for (by the government),” Tyler said.