Part-timers to work more hours

With the new semester, part-time professors are now allowed to teach more hours, which raises the concern of the quality of education, as they will be able to teach more classes with limited time on campus.

Part-time instructors can now teach a 67 percent workload as opposed to the previous 60 percent.

“It could be a good thing or a bad thing,” Gemma Van Biene, psychology major, said. “There’s two sides to it, but I’m for it.”

To address the issue of hurting student education, part-time instructors feel that there should be a set system which would benefit both students and part-timers.

“I would like a guaranteed number of classes because classes are something that are given away due to low enrollment,” Robroy Meyers, history instructor, said.

“Part-timers are hit first by budget cuts. Firings are made based on what areas of a curriculum are being cut.”

Some feel that while professors may not have time to be on campus as much as full-time professors, their differences in styles can be of benefit to students.

“It’s positive to have a variety of professors from different backgrounds, experiences and ways of teaching,” Van Biene said. ” But their limited availability for students could make it difficult for them to form a rapport with them.”

Others feel that the more time professors can teach will not pose a problem, as more classes will be available for students.

“I don’t mind it,” Amanda Trytek, education major, said. “As long as there is someone here who can teach the classes, I don’t think it will (negatively) affect anyone.”

Although there are criticisms for the lack of availability part-time instructors, it is felt that the education depends on the instructor individually.

“If instructors care enough, the students will be taken care of,” Meyers said.