Humanities Building still has glitches

Although it is a brand new building, professors and students are having many problems with the Humanities Building.

Professors love the new state-of-the-art building that houses computers, TV projectors and monitors and full air conditioning, but they are still finding small glitches, which they hope will be fixed.

Bruce Hoerning, assistant director of facilities, however, said that some of the problems have already been fixed.

“They paid for this building, everything should be working right now,” Evelyn Uyemura, ESL professor, said.

Among some of the complaints that faculty have are: broken lights and elevators, missing hooks on bathrooms, issues with extension cords and more.

“It’s very irritating because the building is less than a year old and some things don’t even work,” Uyemura said.

She is also disappointed that the minor things, which should have been fixed before the building was opened, are the ones not working.

“Some of the lights make this teakettle-like noise, which is very irritating and certain doors in the building won’t lock. I mean, it’s ridiculous,” Uyemura said.

The issue that some professors are concerned about is the elevators in the building.

Professors are quickly realizing that the elevators in the building are very inconsistent.

“One of my friends got stuck in an elevator and it took her a while to get help,” Rebecca Bergeman, ESL professor, said.

Besides being stuck in the elevator, one of her main concerns is handicapped students who need to get to class.

“What about handicap students? What will they do when the elevators won’t work and they need to get upstairs?” Bergeman said.

Another issue is that, with no benches or chairs, students find themselves having to sit in the hallways, sometimes even lying down on the concrete floor.

“They need to put benches or bleachers on those hallways for the students. I always see them sitting down, and I think to myself: ‘Poor kid, the floor must be really cold,'” Bergeman said.

Also, since some of the hooks in the girl’s bathrooms are broken, students and teachers have to put their bags and backpacks on the floor.

“They need to fix those hooks in the bathrooms or they should at least put a table in there so that we wouldn’t have to put our stuff on the floor,” Bergeman said.

Professors are finding the new building to be very cold as well.

“For some weird reason, the AC is very cold in this building,” Matt Kline, ESL professor, said. “And what is up with those walls, why do they have holes in them, I don’t know,” Kline said.

While there are certainly glitches in the Humanities Building, Kline thinks that they are all fixable.

“Don’t get me wrong, I love this new building, better than the old one but they should fix the little things here and there such as the spacing in the rooms, it’s too tight. The trashcans in the men’s room are too small so they always overflow with paper towels. And I really hope that they would decorate the walls a little bit,” Kline suggested.

“I have an hour between classes, but I like to sit in the Humanities Building because It’s cool in the building and I come in to chill, because it’s so hot outside. Unfortunately, I have to sit on the floor. I hope they at least put benches in or something,” Khalil Abdul-Tariq, physics major, said.

Some students don’t like the unreliability of the elevators because they think they might break down.

Lisa Tran, child development major, always uses the stairs even though she would rather take the elevator because her class is on the third floor.

With the hot weather and the physical need to walk up the stairs, Tran said, it’s very inconvenient.

“My class before this is all the way by the Social Sciences Building. Then I have to come here, take all these stairs, just to get to class. A reliable elevator would be nice, but I’m scared that the ones here might break down,” Tran said.

With these problems being brought up, officials are attempting to find solutions to the problems.

“As far as the hooks go in the bathrooms, we have ordered hooks and they are on their way,” Hoerning said. “About the benches, we are certainly looking into that matter as we do want students to have a place where they can sit or study.”

As far as the main concerns such as elevators and push buttons on doors for handicap students, Hoerning said that those issues have been fixed.

“All three entrances to the building have push buttons that have door-operated switches for handicap students. As far as the walls go in the building, we won’t be changing those anytime soon,” Hoerning said.

About the elevator issue, Hoerning said that the problems are no longer a problem.

“The emergency phones next to the elevators are not working at the moment and we are getting those fixed and they have nothing to do with the elevators,” he said.

“All of the elevators in the building are working properly and functioning as they should, so there is no need to worry.”

Hoerining assures all the minor problems will be take care of.

“Everything is up and running as of right now, and as far as the minor problems go, we’ll get those taken care of.”