Honors Transfer No. 1 in the state

With more than 500 students, EC has just tied for the highest transfer rate to UCLA, sending 93 percent of the Honors Transfer Program students to the Transfer Alliance Program.

TAP is an agreement between UCLA, UC Berkeley and EC that states each student who signed up will have completed the required courses at the end of their last spring semester.

“We have the second largest number of TAP certified students transfer to UCLA,” Joseph Holliday, director of the Honors Transfer Program, said.

The main focus in the HTP is to transfer to an academically prestigious university.

“The hardest part of the job has been maintaining the quality of the program as it has grown with the limited resources,” Holliday said.

In the last four years, the HTP has grown about 60 percent, relying on only part-time staff.

“It feels great, this work we are doing is paying off, we see the results, the work that the faculty is doing attributes to our success,” Javier Echevarria, President of the Honors Transfer Club said.

A benefit of the program to students is the interaction with students that are also serious about transferring as well as being in the same classes.

“One of the keys to success within the program is making sure the students are strong applicants,” Sue Oda-Omori, program assistant, said. “Part of the reason we had such a high transfer rate is the counseling services that were offered to the students in the Honors Transfer Program.”