Compton enrollment up

With the community and EC rallying around the much-maligned educational institution, Compton Community Center appears to be headed in the right direction toward regaining its accreditation.

Nearing the two-year anniversary of its partnership with EC, the Compton Center has seen growth in enrollment and the number of classes that are offered, which have some people optimistic about the future of the center.

“We have increased the number of full-time equivalency students from 2,700 students to about 3,400 students,” Dr. Thomas Fallo, president of EC, said. “Our goal is to get that up to 4,500 in two years.”

The Compton Community Center has seen increases in everything from the amount of classes that are being offered to the number of Full Time Equivalent Students.

Compared to the spring semester of this year and the spring semester of last year, the number of sections that are being offered rose from 422 to 435, while the number of FTES rose from 923 to 1,185, according to a survey that was released earlier this semester.

Enrollment rose due to positive advertising and community involvement in keeping Center doors open.

Even with the report, it is going to take some time for the Center to regain its accreditation, yet optimism runs rampant.

“It’s going to be until 2016 that we will reach our goal of reaccrediting the Center,” Fallo said.