Tutoring allows for optimum performance

Those who need extra help with schoolwork may obtain free, drop-in tutoring services on campus.

The Learning Resources Center, the Writing Center and the Math Study Center all provide one-on-one student support.

“Knowing when and where to get help when you need it is actually the smart thing to do, regardless of whether you are struggling to pass a class or if you are getting a “C” or a strong “B” and you want to bump it up to an “A,”” Lisa George, LRC assistant tutorial coordinator, said.

The LRC serves all students and tutors approximately 35 different disciplines, from Chinese to electronics and speech.

The LRC is located in the West Wing on the top level of the Schauerman Library, and students may check online for tutoring hours and days by subject.

An EC student ID is required to sign in and out.

“Stop by for a question of if you need help understanding the material,” George said.

“Tutors are there to help you figure out how to do the work yourself,” she said.

Gerald Schlosser, a retired aerospace software engineer with a biophysics degree, has been tutoring physics for about 5 years in the LRC.

“As a tutor, you always want to make sure that every student somehow succeeds one way or the other, as long as they put in the time and effort,” Schlosser said.

Videotapes and DVDs that cover basic math to calculus, and rocks and minerals for geology classes and computer-assisted instruction, are some of the resources available for students.

“The study techniques are a good idea to check out because they instruct students on how to read with a purpose, not just in one ear and out the other,” George said.

The Writing Center is a student-support service that provides assistance to students with writing assignments from any discipline.

The Center features 50 computers for unlimited academic use and 12 tutor stations.

Students must bring an assignment sheet from the instructor and a valid student ID to sign in and sign out.

The Writing Center is located in Humanities Building, Room 122, and is open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 7:40 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 4:10 p.m.

“Students who come to the center for help can expect to have a better organized essay, to punch casino en ligne sans telechargement up their content, and to make sure they have a sound thesis statement that they can support,” Susan Wade, tutor and supervisor, said.

“Writing conferences can help the student to achieve an overall improvement in their essay,” she said.

The center also accommodates students who need guidance with college application essays and scholarship essays. Additionally, they offer individual grammar conferences with tutors.

Writing conferences are limited to two per rough draft, but students can attend a pre-writing conference that concentrates on essay organization and outline work before putting pen to paper.

“Our main point of being here is to help the students,” Wade said.

The Math Study Center is located in Room 106 in the Math Building, and offers free, first-come-first-serve tutoring for students of all levels.

“Students who cannot do their math homework cannot pass their tests,” Eric Wang, MSC tutor coordinator, said.

“With our help, students learn how to do their homework problems,” he said.

Interested students need to sign in and bring their math book.

“Math tutoring has been a great help for me,” Jose Gonzalez, 26, criminal justice major, said. “I have been coming regularly for two years and it has helped me pass math.”

The Math Study Center can be busy on exam days, so students may want to attend tutoring well in advance of the test date.

“The math tutoring service is beneficial because it gives the student a chance to get their questions answered when the instructor is not available,” Marc Glucksman, math professor, said.