Students realize potential with technology

New technology and accommodations used to assist in learning has many students turning to the Special Resource Center for aid and support.

With a little more than 1,300 students involved in their programs, the Special Resource Center provides different facilities for students who are in need of almost any assistance.

“We have priority registration for students and provide them with counseling and a student orientation,” Cristina Pajo, an academic counselor at the center, said.

The Special Resource Center includes a high-tech center which provides for advanced technology, primarily to assist the blind.

Screen readers are used to either scan textbooks or to download them from the publishers’ websites, which are then read aloud to the students.

“Students can also do things such as highlight and outline material as you would be able to do with a regular textbook,” Dipte Patel, director of the Student Resource Center, said.

Alternate formats used to obtain information include voice recognition, where a computer recognizes a student’s voice and obeys oral commands, and technological programs available in Braille or MP3 format.

“It allows individuals to be independent,” Patel said. “It provides equitable access for students and allows them to fully participate in the academic environment.”

Interpreting services are available for deaf students in order for them to actively participate and be able to take courses, as is classroom assistance.

For classroom assistance, a helper accompanies a student to his or her class and takes notes, as well as provides interpretation if needed.

“It’s really fun, because you’re helping them out. We’re needed because there’s a lot of work involved,” Ryan Cleveland, support staff at the resource center, said. “We can’t just let the bosses to do all the work. We all work together.”

Students who use the services provided are able to integrate and believe that awareness of the Special Resource Center should be raised.

“The more publicity we can get for us and these students, the better,” Rachelle Goeman, a visually impaired student, said.

The center is open to all students and allows for them to speak with a counselor if they feel they need assistance.

“There are a number of students not aware of their own disabilities. For instance, a student may be an auditory learner and can take advantage of our screen reader programs,” Patel said.

In order for faculty to be able to learn how to accommodate and to handle unfamiliar situations with regard to students who require special services, the facility is used as a guide for them.

“Some people may not know how to deal with certain situations, so we’re a great source for them,” Pajo said.

While the Special Resource Center provides accommodations to students, independence and integration is the main objective.

“It’s good to get the word out to promote disability awareness. We like our students to integrate with the campus,” Pajo said.

In order to do so, the staff hopes to have their services available to students in several locations.

“I’d like to see that this technology is integrated on campus so it’s available everywhere,” Patel said.

Awareness and becoming involved with the campus is promoted at the center in order to encourage students to understand and to learn from their environment.

“Part of the student experience is to become aware of the programs here,” Patel said. “Not just the student resource center, but with the ASO, the Psychology Club, or the Anthropology Museum.”