Sign-toting missionaries tone down behavior

Armed with signs and fliers, members of Central Missionary Baptist Church of Downey attempted to spread the word of God to students yesterday, proving much more docile than Paul Mitchell of Cornerstone Ministry who appeared last year, causing a stir among students.

Members claimed their goal is to spread their message to campuses across the Los Angeles area.

ÿ”We’re going to all the campuses in the L.A. area to spread the word of God and tell people that they can have their sins forgiven,” Stephen Christian, preacher who has been promoting his cause for 35 years, said.

Some students did not agree and found the cause and message to be contradictory.ÿ?

“So you’re going to tell your friends ‘I love you but because you’re different you’re going to hell?’ Does that make sense?” Ashley Smith, education major, said.

Students approached the preachers and attempted to argue their point and recommended a change in their displays and manner of approach.ÿ?

“My whole purpose is to tell them that a lighter approach would help their cause instead of condemning everyone. I think the point is to live a good life,” Andre Shaw, business major, said.

?Most students felt this group was a great improvement over Paul Mitchell, the last preacher who came to EC in the fall semester.ÿ?

“They’re better than the last guy. I like them. They’re not bringing anybody down and are trying to have a rational discussion,” Krys McDonald, photography major, said.

“I think most people are opposed to people with signs because of the last guy,” McDonald said. “Last time, he riled up the crowd and I tried to share my belief and he wouldn’t answer. The problem with super-Christians is that they judge by the exterior and they’re not supposed to.”