ASO raises thousands in storm relief

Editor’s Note: This article is part of a series that will focus on Hurricane Katrina’s aftermath and connection to the EC community.

Weeks after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast, rescue efforts have begun to give way to humanitarian outreach and reconstruction.

As these new efforts get underway, the Associated Student Organization is partnering with the American Red Cross to raise $10,000 in support for victims of the category five storm. As of Wednesday the ASO has raised $3,154 Phillip Gomez, student trustee, said.

Joe Celli, ASO executive public relations officer and co-chairman of the five member Committee for Hurricane Katrina Relief, said that every student can and should help by donating money.

“We’re not taking food or clothes because (they cost) too much to ship,” Celli said. “They will accept whatever money students can spare, “pennies, quarters, nickels and dimes, anything, it all helps.”

The ASO is unsure how long it will take to raise the $10,000 at its table on the library lawn, but it’s committed to continue asking people for donations until their goal is met.

They decided to raise money after challenged to raise the money by two vice principals, Dr. Francisco Arce, interim vice president and Dr. John Baker, interim vice president, student and community advancement.

“Our first day we got over five hundred dollars,” Celli said, and he is told that in the first week someone dropped in a check for $200, which adds to the funds that have been coming in from friends of his in other states.

To donate money, students may bring cash or checks to the ASO table set up on the library lawn from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursdays until Sept. 15. Students may also send checks to the college at 16007 Crenshaw Blvd., Torrance, CA 902506- c/o Student Development Office.

“It takes us, the people, to do something,” Celli said.

He said that Oprah Winfrey did a special broadcast from the devastated areas and after Dion Sanders called on people in major league sports to each give $1,000, David Schnider, owner of the Washington Redskins, donated $500,000 to charities working in the aftermath of the Hurricane.

The ASO’s efforts caught the attention of radio station KDAY on campus today, Senator of Behavioral and Social Sciences, Anh Tranh said.

“We will be out here as long as it takes to reach our goal,” Tranh said.

Student Khelli Davis, advertising major, has not personally been to the disaster zone but said that her entire perspective changed after her father went to New Orleans and the surrounding areas with the FAA to see what could be done to get transportation back online throughout the area.

“When I first heard about the hurricane I didn’t think it was such a big deal because there (are) always hurricanes on the Gulf Coast,” Davis said.

“Once my dad went down there, it changed my whole outlook on life.”

Even though much of what her dad does for the FAA is confidential, Davis said he told her about conditions in the disaster, which rivaled the worse television footage.

“He said that it’s a reality check like no other. Just the smell out there is so strong that you have to wear surgical masks. He said that there are dead people in the street just covered up,” Davis said.