Summer session info available to students

Here is your chance to transfer or graduate sooner than planned.

Continuing students may register for the summer session until 10 p.m. tonight. New and returning students may register from May 31 to June 2 and June 6 from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Chris Jeffries, atheletic counselor, said that due to the dense workload of summer courses, students should plan their schedules wisely so as not to fall behind.

“I advise students to limit their summer load because it is a condensed load. No more than two courses, and that’s even pushing it because the majority of the students are working during the summer,” Jeffries said.

Despite the accelerate paced of summer sessions, Jeffries said that students tend to be more successful during these sessions.

“Most students seem to do better since they know the time frame is short and they know they have to get it done,” Jeffries said.

The first six-week summer session will go from June 20 through July 28; the second six-week session begins June 27 and lasts through August 4 and the eight-week session is June 20 through August 11.

“It’s kind of human nature to procrastinate when you have more time,” Jeffries said. “During a short semester, you know you don’t have time. You have to stay on top of things.”

After the enrollment date, students may add classes by attending the first day of class and obtaining an add slip from the instructor.

“Most of the drops occur during the summer session when students miss three or more assignments and realize that they won’t be able to make them up,” Elisabeth Shadish, philosophy professor, said.

“Missing a day can cause a student to lose track of what is being taught because a lot of material is being covered,” she said.

Students may obtain more information and get a summer session schedule from Student Services Center.

Kristina Seals, psychology major, will be taking English 1A during the summer. It will be Seals’ second time taking the summer session and she said last year’s was helpful.

“I think I got things done better through the summer session because I’m more on top of my stuff. I feel I can get an ‘A’ without breaking a sweat,” Seals said.