Plans for new Humanities Complex finalized

Professors of humanities will leave their respective wings this summer as work for the new complex begins.

After looking through numerous blueprints, the final plans for the new Humanities Building have been decided.

On May 25, the plans will be submitted to the Department of State Architecture to be approved; the whole process takes about six months before they can be officially approved by the state.

“Originally, we had five plans to choose from. We decided on this one because it would give us the most amount of space with the least amount of cost,” Melissa Smith, director of finance, said.

Smith is the student representative on the Facility Steering Committee, a committee created to decided certain modeling revisions of the campus.

“I like this building better than the other ones. There was one that had a slanted roof, but every time it would rain there would be a waterfall on the students,” Smith said.

Melinda Barth, English professor, is excited about the new plans and hopes the new building will solve many of her concerns.

“Anytime you have an opportunity to improve you have the opportunity to better education,” Barth said.

Barth hopes that with the new building certain, physical limitations that existed in the old building will be taken care of.

“I’ve been in a classroom where a falling tile hit the head of one of my students. There have been noisy pipes, flooded puddles and blinds that don’t close,” Barth said.

It is hoped that with the new building students will be more optimistic and motivated about their education.

The different plans were brought to the committee and after adding new ideas and revising existing plans it was decided upon.

“A lot of it is driven by the budget,” Rob Illingworth, planning and development consultant, said. “Money is just not going as far as it used to go.”

The committee took nearly eight months revising purposed plans to fit the college and students’ needs.

“It has taken longer than anticipated because new things keep coming up,” Illingworth said.”

Total remodeling of the campus is said to take about 15 years.

The Humanities Building is the first building that will be remodeled.

The remodeling will be paid for by using the granted bond funds and is hoped to be completed by 2007.

“Our focus is what will benefit the students and what will enhance their learning,” Illingworth said.