Student elections approach

Any student who is tired of how things are being run on campus can do something about it: He or she can run for student senate.

The Associated Student Organization, ASO, will be having elections to fill 25 positions, including president, vice president and student trustee. Monday is the deadline for turning in candidate petitions.

Paola Garcia, director of student and community advancement, said although there are certain qualifications to run, every candidate is welcome as long as he or she is committed to ASO and students.

“The candidates have to be responsible. They need not only be committed to ASO but the students as well. They need to be able to juggle their classes, their ASO meetings and every other committee they may be responsible for,” Garcia said.

To be considered as a candidate, a student must have and maintain a minimum of six units at the college, have a valid student ID with current “ASB VALID” sticker and a grade point average of 2.0 or better; some positions require further qualifications.

Along with meeting the qualifications, candidates must obtain a minimum of 25 signatures from students who believe the applicant is capable of running the position successfully.

Bryce Matson, student trustee, encourages candidates to be aware of the responsibilities of the position they are considering to run for.

“Candidates have to know what they are getting themselves into. When you have students voting for you, you have to take the responsibility of that position because there is always going to be accountability,” Matson said.

Elected members are required to display leadership skills and to have responsibilities of their positions for one year.

“One of the great things about this organization is you do not necessarily have to be a previous leader,” Matson said. “It is a learning process; you become a leader in this organization.”

ASO is an organization open to different views; it is a learning process for the members who are dealing with people of different backgrounds than their own.

“It builds leadership skills I never thought I would be capable of. Now I know I am capable. By being a part of ASO, you meet students from different ethnicities, different attitudes and different ways of thinking,” Philip Gomez, ASO president, said.

Among the many attitudes of the members, each must be willing to represent the entire student body.

“You have to have a passion for leading and for following at the same time. You have to have a passion for hearing students and taking their concerns to appropriate groups,” Matson said.

Elected members are hoped to continue the works of the previous ASO cabinet.

“We can start laying the foundation and start working our way up. Each year, ASO will have growth and each year we can get better and improve,” Matson said.

Besides being a voice of the students, tangible benefits of being a part of ASO include priority registration, designated parking spots and each cabinet member receives a desk and working station.

“We had a lot of teamwork this year. We pushed each other in a good way. I want to make it a tradition,” Garcia said.

Interested persons may obtain more information by calling the ASO Executive Office at (310) 660-3507.

“Just do the best you can representing the students,” Matson said.

Candidate Qualifications

Have and maintain a minimum of six units at the college. Student Trustee candidates must have and maintain a minimum of seven units.

Have a valid student ID card with a current “ASB VALID” sticker. The sticker is $10 and available in the Student Activities Center Counter or at the Cashier’s Office in the Administration Builiding.

Have a GPA of 2.0 or higher in past and present courses. Student Trustees must have a 2.5 grade point average.

Completion of no more than five semesters or three academic years of service in student government at the college. This includes being a club president.

Obtain 25 signatures from students who believe you are capable of running position successfully.