Event features ‘drunken’ driving

Alcohol is not the only way to experience the effects of intoxication.

Stumbling students could be seen driving golf carts into cones yesterday while participating in the annual “Driving Under The Influence Awareness” event.

Hosted by the police department along with The California Office of Traffic Safety, this event proved to be beneficial for the students.

“This is the fifth time we’ve done this and it’s by far the biggest turnout that we have ever had,” Sgt. Kirk Johnston said.

“We added the golf carts, that the students love, and the basketball hoop is real popular,” he said.

The Schauerman Library lawn was filled with students interested in receiving hands-on experience of driving under the influence of alcohol and experiencing its impact.

“We can tell everyone not to drink and drive , but we would rather show them,” Jason Walters, California Office of Traffic Safety agent, said.

Students were able to drive a golf cart on a course aligned with cones while wearing the goggles that simulate a drunken driver’s vision impairment.

The goggles ranged in levels creating the feeling of having a blood alcohol level of .06, just under the legal limit, to .20, which is considered fatal.

“Most of the students like to compare the way they feel after a couple of drinks to the way they feel with the goggles on and they agree the goggles are pretty accurate,” Walters said.

“The law actually says you cannot drive under the influence of alcohol at all,” Johnston said. “But if you are point-zero eight or greater, you are automatically guilty of driving under the influence,” Johnston said.

For many students, it is surprising how much their judgment is impaired only after a couple of alcoholic beverages.

“With the goggles on, it looks like everything is blurring together. While driving on the course, I hit a couple of cones,” Ruth Patterson, sign language major, said.

While some students agreed they knew the dangers of driving intoxicated before the event, many said the experience makes risks more of a reality for them.

“I already had the mentality of not driving drunk, but this kind of clarifies it for me,” Patterson said.

Eneisha Groomes, fire technology major, said the goggles made her dizzy and gave her the feeling of floating.

“I felt like I was walking sideways. It’s really hard to concentrate,” Groomes said.

“When driving, I could not tell when a stop sign was coming or how close I was to the cones,” she said.

In addition to the driving course, a basketball hoop was set up for students to attempt to make baskets while wearing the goggles.

There were also graphic pictures of alcohol-related car crashes on display.

“The photos alone can teach you not to drink and drive,” Groomes said.

Groomes said she will not let friends drive drunk while she is in the car.

A demonstration showing the actions that take place as a car tumbles and gets flipped upside down as a result of drunken driving was also set up for students to witness.

The goal is to not only teach students the dangers of drunken driving but also to show them the possible outcomes.

“We know (students) are going to go out and party and there’s nothing wrong with that. As long as you have a driver without any alcohol on board, you’re cool,” Walters said.

“You may have to call your parents and get in trouble, but that is a lot better than getting in an accident, killing someone and being charged with manslaughter,” he said.