College recognized for advertising accomplishments

During one afternoon checking out high school sports scores on the Torrance Cable station, one ad changed chemistry major Joseph Cervantes’ outlook on EC forever.

“It was more than just a screen saying the location or programs offered at El Camino, it gave you more depth by telling you former students’ experiences here,” Cervantes said.

At a conference in September, Public relations and marketing director Ann M. Garten accepted three top awards from The National Council for Marketing & Public relations (NCMPR) on various marketing projects she created.

“It’s a national association for all two year colleges, public and private; with judges who are professionals in the field,” she said.

The first award was a first place gold award for a radio ad encouraging students to enroll in summer school.

“It was a radio ad to get students to register; it played on KROQ and Power 106. The demographics showed those were the stations students listen to,” Garten said

The second award was a second place silver award for a series of promotional cable TV ads of alumni talking about what EC has done for them.

“Six ads ran in the summer to encourage students to register for fall. One was of former ASO president, Cameron Samimi; kayaking gold medalist and flag bearer for the 2000 summer Olympics, Cliff Meidl; an actress; a track star who transferred to CSULA and football coach John Featherstone.

“I’ve pretty much gained a greater sense of respect and admiration for this college. I was more proud that this college was different from other colleges by just hearing stories of how other people value and love this school,” Cervantes said.

Nursing major Monica Solis has a similar reaction to the television ads.

“I never knew EC was that great; being that it is one of the top community colleges in California and the nation. I thought it was just another college because I never talked about EC with fellow classmates,” Solis said.

The third award was third place bronze award for a print ad targeting high school students.

The Medallion Awards are given annually by the NCMPR with more than 400 entries entered in the conference from Western United States, Garten said.

Among 12,000 entries, EC also won a first place award at the National NCMPR Paragon awards for the college’s promotional CD targeted to high school students earlier this year.

“I like using alumni because I want students to know this is where they can end up. I never have to seek out people because people remember EC and credit EC for helping them get to where they are,” Garten said.