Rock ‘n’ Voting

As the bell rang announcing the beginning of the college hour, many gathered around the front stage of the Activities Center. Although it was music that attracted them to the stage, it was the power of their vote that kept them interested.

Over 100 students registered to vote during the Associated Student Organization’s “Rock the Vote” event.

Politicians were present to give speeches, including James Spencer, who is running for the 26th District assembly seat, Greg Hill, mayor of Redondo Beach and 51st District assemblyman James Horton.

Radio stations KROQ and Power 106 were also present to encourage students to vote.

“Believe it or not, you are the most powerful force in America,” Horton, an EC alumnus, said. “Your minds will determine the future of the next generation and the direction we go.”

“If the students at community colleges in California had a common agenda to lower the tuition fees, the cost of books and ensure access to a higher education, every child, regardless of their social and economic status, the students would rule the world,” he said.

Empowering the students is another reason students should vote, Bryce Matson, student member of the board of trustees, said.

“We can’t depend on political good will, we have to show them that we actually do vote,” Matson said.

“If the students are registered and if they vote, we will have a much greater impact on the legislators.”