Parties encourage all citizens to particpate

Editor’s note: This article is part of a series that focuses on the 2004 elections.

Getting people to register has become one of the largest grass root efforts for both the Republican and the Democratic party.

Every day on campus, people walk around attempting to get unregistered citizens to vote.

The two major political parties are doing everything they can to get votes from unregistered citizens or undecided voters. But, both parties differ greatly on what they stand for.

“It is important as an American to vote,” Nancy Comaford, chairwoman of the Palos Verdes Republican Headquarters, said. “It is important that we live in a country where you have a say in the American political process.”

The opposing side agrees

“It is a must for all of us to vote. Everything we do in life is effected by things we vote on,” Mary Gutierrez, communications director of the California Democratic Party, said.

Even supporters of a third party agree that voting is essential.

“It is important to participate because if we don’t get Bush out of office, perpetual war will continue,” Aaron Halevy, LaRouche youth movement member, said.

For an undecided voter, Comaford said that the Republican party can help you because “we are the party of the American dream.”

“We aren’t just the party of the American dream, but we believe everyone is guaranteed the right to succeed and accomplish the American dream,” Comaford said.

Halevy said he believes that voting is the most important duty for American.

“A no-vote is a vote for Fascism. one hundred million people didn’t vote in the last election. The Democratic party really needs to get out and vote,” Halevy said.

Doris Dana, a precinct captain at the Republican headquarters in Palos Verdes, agrees.

“If we don’t exercise our right to vote, then we are missing the boat,” Dana said.

No matter what party people belong to, there is a bipartisan agreement that people need to register and get out to vote.

“The American political system is the pinnacle of mankind’s development. By not voting, you are wasting that,” Halevy said.