Freshmen 15

Warning to freshmen there is a possibility weight may be gained. It has been passed on through generations that during the first year of college fifteen pounds will be gained. Otherwise called, the freshmen 15. Fast food’s surround campus and students are their main target.

High school had a set schedule with nutrition, lunch and always out by at least 3 p.m. College on the other hand has classes available morning, noon and night with no designated lunch period. It is then up to the student to find a meal on their own that is quick and easy.

“I prefer fast food because it tastes better and fills you up faster,” Emily Reese,18, computer science major, said.

The main issue on fast food meals is the high calorie intake. It is effortless to eat 700 calories in one sitting at a local McDonalds or Del Taco.

Reese added, “I already gained two pounds and it hasn’t been more than two weeks!”

Whether someone eats fast food daily or once in a while, everyone has a first choice. It then makes it tough to ignore the colossal signs across the street that seem so inviting.

“My favorite fast food is Del Taco and it is just across the street. I hope I don’t end up eating it everyday,” Maddeline Messer, 19, English major, said.

Having a hectic school, social and work schedule will always cause hunger. In times of short notice needs, the only thing available is fast food because the meals are served almost immediately. Days will turn into weeks, weeks into months, and before it is noticed, 15 pounds will have been gained.

Fear of gaining weight may not be a priority to others as it is to some. Although there are several quick meals to purchase around campus, some plan ahead. They know they will be hungry and do not rely on purchasing food.

“If I need to I will bring an apple and always a water bottle. Something simple,” Ron Caughlin, 18, undecided major, said.

Facile or difficult to gain weight, the possibility is always out there. It may even be just across the street.