Being a mom and a student isn’t easy

College students that are also mothers, balance time between their children, school, and their jobs for a better life.

When you walk down the halls of this proud institution, young men and women are pursuing higher education for a purpose in life.

“I am speaking to any mother who might have concerns about balancing motherhood and school”, 31-year-old nursing Major Keyea George. “If you focus your mind and are determined you can obtain good grades and succeed as a mother”.

Young mothers who are also college students are becoming more common. Many young mothers, who attend college, sacrifice their free time to fulfill their educational goals.

“I think that having good time management skills is important”, said George. “Some days are better than others “.”I purposely don’t work 3p.m. to 11 p.m. during the week so I can help my kids with their homework.”

George has roughly four hours of homework per night, takes care of her three young children and works part-time as a LVN on the weekend.

“I have a lot of support from family and friends”, said George. “The children’s dad and grandmother take care of them sometimes.”I don’t think that I could handle motherhood, school, and work without their strong support system.

“It is definitely not easy to manage a family, school, and a job, said 22-year-old child development major Eileen Avila said. “My mother-in-law and husband watch over the children to help out.” “Financial aid helps out with the costs that students endure.

Avila has five-year-old girl. She works as a part -time clerical assistant and is a full time student

“I study about three hours every night, “Avila said. “When I study at home, the noise level is high.” “The library is the only quiet place there is for me to study.”

An adequate amount of study time is essential for students to receive good grades. If a student fails to study, failing is almost inevitable whether you are a college student with children or without children.

“I like to study at my kitchen table because its peacefull”, 43-year-old nursing Major Casey Chu said. “I need to study about four hours every night”. ” My children are grown which leaves me with a lot more freedom to spend time on my schoolwork.”

College students who are mothers spend a considerable amount of time studying but what do they like to do in their free time away from school?

“I really don’t have a lot of spare time”, George said. “Sundays are family days, I take the kids to church and then we go out to the movies or go out to eat.” “On Sundays, we spend the whole day together as a family.”

“It is necessary to have some kind of alone time”, Avila said. “My husband and I go out to dinner on the weekends”. “My daughters grandmother watches her so that we can have some time together alone. ”

Mothers need to spend enough time studying but still leave time for their children, husbands, and friends. With all the demands, these mothers still seem to make it work.