Free Exercise: Alternatives Ways to Get and Stay in Shape

Recent economic struggles have made those who are health conscious look for alternative ways to exercise for free or anything way cheap. For those who are searching, they don’t have to look very far. Everything they need is all around them.

Even though most people are struggling financially, the want and need to stay fit and healthy remain. However, it is very difficult for some to pay for a gym membership or a personal trainer.

Thank goodness for options and alternatives. We live in a world where dead ends are hardly ever really the end and we are forced to take matters into our own hands.

Athletic Specialist, Carolyn Biedler, suggests taking nature walks. She said, “P.V. [Palos Verdes] has nice nature walks”. She adds, “[Palos Verdes] also has a bicycle trail but it’s more for the experts”.

“When the weather is bad [I use] my cable. [It] has an exercise channels that I utilize every night”, Biedler said.

EC’s athletic director, Michael Fenison along with Biedler, are both avid swimmers. They swim 2 to 3 times per week.

Students like, Charles Green, who is an EC athlete also had some great advice. “If any can get to the beach or the sand dooms, they can run”, Green said.

While Green does have a personal trainer, he still works out on his own by doing at least 60 push-ups every night.

Other then free exercising being free, there are a few more pros of free exercise. For example, you are made to push yourself without the help of others, an athlete at EC said.

And you can have fun [because no one is there to judge you”, Green said. He adds,” [that] It builds independence, mental toughness, that’s a big thing”.

Lastly, free exercise allows a person their desired workout pace without distractions or pressure to “keep up”. It also eliminates any insecure feelings of exercise in a gym setting.

If one is able to even bump their budget up a bit, there are also expensive alternative ways to exercise like, playing basketball, boxing, jump roping and even dancing.

Collectively, students and athletic officials alike have suggested core workout exercises that should be in everyone’s routine regiment.

Stretching, any type of cardio like running, pull ups, sit ups, and stomach crunches are all essential to a full and beneficial workout.

In an effort in helping yourself to a great workout, why not have fun. If you have a game system like the Wii, Biedler suggests that, “Wii fit gives a god workout”.