Hispanic Heritage Month event ‘Music for Puerto Rico’ coming to Campus Theatre

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, El Camino College will be presenting the ‘Music for Puerto Rico’ event which will be hosted by Spanish Professor, Alicia Class, in the Campus Theatre, Oct. 16 from 2:30-3:30 p.m.

This event will focus on the historical and comparative overview of the music of Puerto Rico. In addition, Class said that this event will discuss, “the impact [the music] has made in the rest of Latin America and also in the United States”.

Raymond Torres-Santos, who is a pianist and professor of music composition at Cal State Long Beach, will be lecturing about the history of the music of Puerto Rico. There will be songs incorporated throughout his presentation.

Other guests will include Eliseo Borrero, who is a Cuatro musician that will be performing at this event. The Cuatro is the national instrument of Puerto Rico. Also, Class will be performing four songs.

Food and refreshments will be served which will include water, lemonade, and assorted cookies. This event is free and is open to the public.

Class said that the, “[Spanish] department is quite active”, and she is hopeful that there will be more events like this in the future.