Club on campus connects through music

Last year, a new club for mutual music lovers was created on campus: the Music Exchange Club. The club’s purpose is to bring students together to discuss their personal preferences of different musical genres, artists and songs. It was founded by two students, Elias Gonzalez and Chris Pigao.

“The idea was formally based on two different ideas and we sort of came together,” Piago, co-founder of the club, said.

The Music Exchange Club is about finding new ways of learning about bands and artists in a physical way – a face to face interaction, and for members to be informed about both old and new music these days, Pigao said.

The club exchanges CDs made by the members every week at their meetings. The type of music shared by the members range from every genre, from hip-hop to all kinds of rock to jazz. It offers to establish new friendships and remain open to any other kinds of music, says Pigao.

“We want to, at least, meet some of the more eccentric students here at EC.” Pigao said.

According to the club’s Facebook page, it was started in the Spring of 2012 with the aim of discussing and sharing their favorite music. They do not only use their meetings as a basis for sharing their love of music with others but they also use their club Facebook page to do so.

The club has also utilized the power of their own blog on Tumblr, where they post music videos, songs and even personal reviews from their members on songs and why they love them.

Piago says he wishes to expand the club and what it does here on campus and for it’s members. With future expansion, they plan to go to concerts and shows in the area, as well as go on trips to go to record stores with each other and find new music together. He says they also want to put on a local show to showcase a lot of local bands or possibly even do a radio station or podcast on campus of their musical selections.

“Music is the general connection we can have with someone, even if it’s minor,” Piago said.

For more information, visit a Music Exchange Club meeting Thursday from 1 to 2 p.m. in the Arts and Behavioral Science building 348B or contact the club’s leaders via Facebook or Tumblr:
    https://www.facebook.com/ElCaminoMusicExchangeClub
    http://eccmusicexchangeclub.tumblr.com/