Dancers get ready for show

With the holiday season underway, many students are preparing to spread joy by participating in the arts  they love most.

The dance program’s best students will perform in “Jubilation,” a versatile dance performance at the Campus Theater from Nov. 29 to Dec. 2.

“I think the thing students will love most about this show is the diversity and variety that the choreographers and the instructors are bringing to each piece,” Lesley Washington, dance major and choreographer said.

This performance will appeal to the general public because it features a wide range of dances.

“There’s modern, contemporary, a little bit of tap and some hip-hop as well,” dance major, 28, Shinna Johnson said. “It’s just like a mix and match of all of the above.”

Although the dance styles vary, there will be a central theme.

“The performance is about the 18th century courtesans and noblemen and how they used their flirtatious ways to build alliances,” Washington said.

The name of the show reflects the mood of the evening.

“We named it ‘Jubilation’ because it’s a celebration of life and  students renewing their passion for dance,” Daniel Berney, show director said.

This show features the best and most experienced dancers on campus. It will give spectators the feeling of being at a professional dance performance, Santleman said.

“This performance is a bit different because it’s more advanced in terms of the dancing experience,” Pamela Santleman, dance instructor and show director said.

These dancers will convey emotions and feelings that their choreographers intend the audience to experience.

“They have more technique and more attitude,” Berney said.

Training for a performance can be physically and mentally draining, but the results are worth it for all.

“Working on this performance has been time consuming,” Johnson said. “We’ve had lot of sweat and a few of the injuries that come along with being a dancer. For the choreographers, there are the headaches that come when the dancers can’t get something right. There’s no complaints, but just the things that come along with preparing for a big show.”

Berney and Santleman will be directing another show called the “Choreography showcase”  this holiday season. This performance will serve as a final grading assignment for students taking the choreography class on campus.

This is a show with the highest of standards for its participants, Santleman said.

“You’re working with professional faculty so the dances are at a higher level,” Santleman said. “It’s a little more professional. It has actual costumes for the dancers as opposed to the showcase.”