“The Five Year Engagement” makes big laughs but not big sales

Directed by Nicholas Stoller, producer of “Bridesmaids”, “The Five Year Engagement” stars Jason Segel and Emily Blunt in a romantic comedy about the complications that come with some engagements

Tom (Jason Segel) questions whether he should continue dreading living in the blizzards of snowy Michigan with his fiancée, Violet (Emily Blunt), or move back to the Bay Area in San Francisco as a sous chef.

The frustrating delayed wedding arrangements start off when Violet receives an acceptance letter into the post-doctorate psychology program at the University of Michigan.

Because Tom is so madly in love with Violet from the day they met at a New Year’s Eve party, he understands how important this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is to his fiancée and decides to move along with the transition and try something different.

But as weeks pass by, Tom realizes he misses the life he had in San Francisco and begins to experience the difficulty of not finding a job as a chef anywhere in Michigan.

Aside from the misery Tom is going through, Violet becomes so focused in her studies, that she barely has time to realize her fiancée is miserable and that he sacrificed his profession as a chef for Michigan.

As more interruptions begin escalating in their relationship, they realize the engagement is slowly being put on the side and minor arguments are being ignored.

Although the two are experiencing a different lifestyle, the comedy is what keeps the film lively for viewers.

What’s interesting about Tom and Violet is the on-going commotion of planning a set wedding date.

Tom seems to be testing his love for Violet because he continues living in Michigan, while Violet is conducting an unconscious psychological experiment on whether her fiancée truly loves her.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the R-rated film struggled at the box office with only $3.5 million last Friday coming in 3rd place.

Positive reports are anticipated at a much higher incentive by the end of this week.

The movie did an awesome job showing the on-going chemistry between the two, aside from the five years of being committed to marrying each other someday.

Overall, the film kept the audience laughing during the moments when Tom and Violet were about to call their engagement off.

This film gives the millions of couples out there another reason why they shouldn’t wait too long for their wedding to happen.