Students get artistic freedom with bronze casting

Nothing beats that final moment. After many long hours  creating a sculpture, a mold , a wax replica, a ceramic shell,  the bronze is heated to 21,500 degrees and then the fiery molten metal is poued and a bronze casting is created.

First introduced more than 3000 years ago, the traditionof bronze castin is carried on today by Russell McMillin in his Art 83 class, where students participate in a bronze pour.

To McMillin, the process has meaning beyond more academia.

“Students should take this course because it’s like a test run for life,” McMillin, said. “All the skills you need in life are prominent in the class.”

Taking the time to set goals for every step is crucial to the final product so the class is often seen as a metaphor for life.

“A lot of gratification, sweat and tears are involved by the finalized product,” McMillan said.

Professor McMillin was hired in 2002 to bring a contemporary art element to the bronze-casting course and to keep the course going that was started back in the ‘70s.

“My favorite part about teaching is the growth the students achieve during the class,” McMillin said.

With practice and choreographed routines, students usually have to quickly adapt to the intense work environment to ensure safety for both themselves and others.

“It’s really intense and it makes students focus,” McMillin said. “They learn to handle in challenging and stressful situations.”

Lily Kurosaki, 21, studio art major, likes the class for giving her “artistic freedom” and the hands on experience.

“It has its challenges but it’s very rewarding,” Kurosaki said. “I definitely learned something I never thought I could do.”

Kurosaki’s recalls how life changing it was for her when she first saw the pouring of the bronze.

“I could never imagine making something out of bronze at a community college,” Kurosaki said. “It gave me a new perspective on what art really is.”

As students continue to expand their knowledge in class, the art department will showcase their work at the open house held May 18, from 6 to 9 p.m. where they will also be having a demo of the bronze pouring at 7 p.m.

McMillan also added that anyone is welcome to come Monday and Wednesday nights from 6 to 9 p.m. to check the class out and for bronze pouring Wednesday nights around 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. in ARTB 125.

“If you work as hard as you possibly can, then good things are going to happen in your life,” McMillan said.