“Chimpanzee” leaves audience entertained

Prepare to have your heart swept away by a rarity of a leading man, Oscar, the Chimpanzee. Narrated by Tim Allen, who by no means is a stranger to lending his voice to a Disney picture, narrates the journey of a 3-year-old chimp. Disneynature presents Chimpanzee which is a fourth installment to the franchise.

Chimpanzee, which also premiered during an Earth Day weekend, topped the box office at No. 4 and has earned $10 million so far, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc.

The one hour and 18 minute movie, documents a short period of time in the life of Oscar a baby chimp. Nestled in the comfort of his mother, she teaches him the ways of the Jungle from hunting and gathering to grooming and socialization. Oscar and his mother share the screen with other members of their pack, including leader Freddie. The climactic point of the film comes at a life or death turning point for Oscar. His mother vanishes after a battle with a rival pack and he must find a new mother to adopt him. With no mother, Oscar is left to groom and find food for himself, which can turn into death.

Moments of the film are stolen by features of brief highlights of cinematography in the use slow-motion and zoom shots to capture the beauty of the African jungle. Not necessarily distracting from the brevity of the film but highlighting the environment in which they live in. The movie follows a slow pace but does a great job in distinguishing its characters in the film.

The film as a documentary only follows a short time of Oscar even though the film took four years to make.  As a Disney picture it stays true to the story telling that is legendary and synonymous to the Disney name. This is a documentary that follows a character you’ll feel empathy for.

A movie that is fun and suitable for all ages it goes above the traditional documentary and does what a Disney film does best, become emotionally attached. Disneynature will donate 20 cents per ticket from its opening weekend, April 20 until today toward the Jane Goodall Institute.

Engage yourself on an adventure that is sure to leave you entertained and educated.